Beauty!

Ye old Raleigh

Ye old Raleigh




Saturday, November 28, 2009

Bottom Bracket Blues

Phil Wood, 'nough said. The best you can buy, and also the only company (that I know of, so please enlighten me if you know otherwise) that still makes BB cups for a 26tpi threading. Because that's what the shell is. For some reason, the cups didn't seem to thread very easily, and I noticed shards of metal inside the shell as if it had been tapped to the standard 24tpi. I was suspicious, especially after I got a ton of lil' metal shard splinters in my fingertips. That was a long project and be prepared for a whole separate blog regarding the removal of metal shrapnel from my fingers.

Nice to be able to adjust the spindle for the proper chain line by just screwing the cups accordingly. I like that about the Phil Wood design. There was a slight off-center presentation of the spindle when I finished. Watching the crank turn the chain later, both on top and bottom of the ring, there seemed to be a negligible error from this. Perhaps it is from the threading? distortion in the Shell? I'm not really sure.

Screwed that Action Pro cheapo crank set on there, tightened the bolts to about 35 ft-lbs. and the chain ring bolts to about 10 ft-lbs. (I'll go back and correct this is my specs are off)

No comments:

Post a Comment







Truing Stand


Key Spoke

trailing spokes

Leading Spokes in a Cross 3